Thursday, April 9, 2015

The Lost Song

Today's story snippet (I love the word snippet!) is from a story I titled "The Lost Song". I will put on here the synopsis type thing you find on the back of books and also a beginning scene. I would love to hear any advice, critiques, or comments you have. Thanks!

            Elise is a simple commoner: she has a wonderful family, abundant friends, and a special gift. She loves to sing and constantly brings happiness to those around her.
            Her normal life is interrupted one day though when she receives astonishing news that she is the princess of Falden. Her country has just emerged victorious from a war and they are now ready to establish her as their queen.

            Elise’s heart is torn: she desires to fulfill her duty to her country but longs for her old life again. Will she become the queen or will forfeit the crown to another? And, more importantly, will she lose her joy-giving song?

Elise was washing dishes. She was also smiling and singing. Of course, her singing was not a surprise for she always was. Especially while doing her chores. She preferred singing while working; she felt like it gave rhythm to her songs.
                And today was no different. Unfortunately, she could not hear through the melody of her voice with the water and did not notice the man creeping up behind her. He approached cautiously with a evil smile and an mischievous gleam in his eye. He stopped right behind her and paused.
                Elise screamed in surprise as he tickled her sides. “Archie! Don’t do that! You scared me so,” she blurted, placing her hand over her racing heart. She fought hard to keep a smile from breaking her angry countenance.
                The young man said nothing, but leaned against the wall opposite her, overcome with laughter. Elise dipped her hands into the washing water and flicked her hands at Archie.
                “Don’t you know that is no way to woo a woman,” she smirked.
                “Archie having composed himself by now gave her a boyish grin. “Well then, what ways are there?”
                “I shan’t tell you, “Elise said and turned back to the sink with an air of mock arrogance.
                He stepped over to the counter top next to her and leaned his back against it, thinking. “May I guess?”
                “You may guess, but I may choose not to answer.”
                Archie made a slight frown. “Not fair, but I bet it’s the best I will get. Hmm, would you be impressed if I won a jousting tournament?”
                “But you don’t know how to joust, silly,” Elise laughed. “And even if you could, no, it would not work.”
                “Alright, what if I chopped down the whole of Asherton’s forest for you?”
                Elise shook her head, “First, that would be impossible, second, you would get arrested, and third, that wouldn’t work either.”
                Archie stroked his chin, pretending to strain his mind. “I think I need to change my tactics. How about if I could always make you laugh?”
                “I agree that’s part of it but not everything. For example, if you jested while I was grieving that would be repulsive,” Elise countered, drying off her hands and looking at him.
                “True, true,” Archie paused a moment, then held up his finger in triumph. “I think I’ve got it. You want someone who will help you whenever you need it in whatever way you need it.” He leaned in close and smiled. “Am I right?”
                Elise blushed, and put her hands on her hips. Then she threw a towel in his face and laughed. “I need those dishes dried,” she called as she walked out of the room. Archie laughed too and picked up a plate.

4 comments:

  1. Still love this^^^ ;-}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, your new background is fabulous :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you, the old one just didn't quite fit and I can't believe I didn't notice this one before.

      Delete