Saturday, January 3, 2015

Day 1: A Pin Everyday

This is from the writing prompt: "I'm trying my best to be polite, but if you move that knife a centimeter closer to me, I will tear you apart." The "I" in here is a boy in his late teens. Hopefully this character works for a guy :).


                “I’m trying my best to be polite, but if you move that knife a centimeter closer to me, I will tear you apart.”

                I had my demon cornered, with the knife as my only defense, and I winced as it said these words, for I knew them to be true. I had before felt the ripping and burning of my flesh as it tried to kill me. I had always needed to succumb to its will, but now things were different, and I felt a kind of peace suffocating my fear.

                “No,” I replied calmly. “You no longer have any power over; I know that, and so do you. You cannot frighten me with your empty threats.” As I said this, my knife started to glow a dull orange. I saw that it was taken aback. It had been able to persuade before and it was frustrated by the loss of leverage.  It hesitated and I could see the options going through its mind. It could still kill me, but not without the risk of getting killed itself.

You see, the knife I was wielding was no ordinary weapon. It had been given to me by the Father and was the only thing that could kill this beast. It was a weapon made from my Father’s love and the love I now had for him. As my faith strengthened, so also did the strength of this knife.

While watching the demon, words from my Father floated into my head. When Father gave the knife to me, he said that it would free and protect me forevermore from the demon that had been haunting me the past two years. He also said, after I had asked Him how to use it, that if I trusted Him and had faith, I would know exactly when and how to use it. If I have faith…have faith…faith…Faith! That was the answer! I immediately knew what I must do.

I slowly lifted the glowing blade, and said out loud “For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace. Romans 6:14” The creature winced and flattened itself against the wall, and I continued, “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9 Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Galatians 5:24.” The volume of my voice and the length of my blade were now growing, together. The demon continuously sank to the floor.

I started to step forward and now shouted my offense, “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. 1 John 4:18. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4.”

I stood above my cowering opponent, my now blazing sword raised above my head, poised to strike. “John 1:5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it!” I gave in a final yell and then plunged my sword into the demon chest. It shrieked in agony, before it became a pile of dust. I slowly backed up, feeling a huge sense of relief and triumph. I feel to my knees, supporting myself with my sword. I bowed my head and whispered, “Thank you, Father. Thank you.” I then felt a spring of joy well up inside me. I lifted my head and my hands, letting my sword fall with a clang. “Oh, thank you! I am free, I’m free! Thank you for rescuing me and ridding of this demon. I love you so; thank you for loving me. I will always follow you!” I rejoiced.

No comments:

Post a Comment