Saturday, January 3, 2015

Day 2

This is my writing prompt for today:
 
 
 I paused for a moment before stepping out into open space. I had been told that this was the easy part of the journey, well, at least when compared to the other parts. The only thing you had to do was continually look at the group of stars that made the shape of the Cross, or you would immediately fall to your death.

Taking a step forward and peeking out of the archway, I caught a glance of this special constellation. I had never seen it before on Earth, but then everything was different here. I had to look at everything from a different perspective; things that I thought were concrete became like mist and my beliefs and attitude were the most real things ever.

Constantly looking at some stars was easy, right? Well, it would be, except for the voices. As I mentioned before, looking away would cause your death, so evil spirits whispered doubts and distractions into your ears to try to make you turn your gaze away. I needed to think of something to keep me focused before I was attacked. Then I remembered that when I was still living with my family, I would always block out the noise with music. ‘Course, all the songs I knew were worldly and profane, I promised never to listen to, much less sing them, again.

“Lord, please help me!” I prayed. “I don’t know what to do.”

Abigail…Abigail, the words drifted into my mind. Listen, and I will teach you what to sing.

“Yes, Lord,” I whispered and then quieted my mind, waiting for His guidance.

As the long-lost song from my childhood came into my ears and out of my mouth, I looked lovingly at the Cross, and stepped out into the nothingness.

My Shepherd will supply my need:
Jehovah is His Name;
In pastures fresh He makes me feed,
Beside the living stream.
He brings my wandering spirit back
When I forsake His ways,
And leads me, for His mercy's sake,
In paths of truth and grace.

When I walk through the shades of death,
Thy presence is my stay;
A word of Thy supporting breath
Drives all my fears away.
Thy hand, in sight of all my foes,
Doth still my table spread;
My cup with blessings overflows,
Thine oil anoints my head. 

The sure provisions of my God
Attend me all my days;
O may Thy house be my abode,
And all my work be praise!
There would I find a settled rest,
While others go and come;
No more a stranger, nor a guest,
But like a child at home.”
 
The song included here is called "My Shepherd Will Supply Need" by Isaac Watts. It is based on Psalm 23.


4 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. Wow. So much good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really really like this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh I loved this.... It was awesome. Amazing imagery!!!^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I memorized this song and the tune for it for my literature class and it has since been one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete